“Photographs open doors into the past, but they also allow a look into the future.” –Sally Mann
- The featured photo in this Roundup is an agapanthus in bloom. It was featured on seven Instagram pages, including Flowers and Macro and Macro Brilliance.
- I adore this National Geographic video featuring not one, but four piping plover chicks.
- There’s an awareness day for everything, even snakes! July 16 was World Snake Day. Check out Joel Sartore’s incredible photos of snakes.
- “Solitude encouraged me to reflect…It’s not what we get in life that makes us happy. I think it’s who we become.” Watch Isolation, a short film about a solitude journey through the remotest parts of Scotland.
- See the winners of the National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year contest.
- If you’re a photographer, whether hobbyist or pro, check out the photo contests on Shuttout.com. If you take good photos, you can actually win their contests. They’re new, but their community is growing. They have a simple model. Popularity doesn’t matter. The contests aren’t saturated with bad photos. They have lots of free contests, but you can enter premium contests with a small fee which contributes towards a crowdsourced cash prize. And now, I’m the editor and a writer for their new blog!